This week we started aerating tees on the course. We should have this finished by next week. We will also be spot seeding some weaker roughs with a mixture of fescue and bluegrass. Please be patient as we perform this necessary task.
Thursday, August 22, 2013
Yesterday we aerified the range greens using 1/2" tines. These greens are not built to USGA specs. There is no internal drainage or gravel in these greens, therefor they don't drain very well at all. We maintain them at 1/2" height of cut. As you can see in this photo there is a lot of thatch in these cores. We only aerate these greens once a year. The greens on the golf course are aerated 6 times a year using both solid and coring tines. Along with our weekly topdressing and cultivating practices, there is very little thatch on these greens.
Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Sunday, August 4, 2013
Saturday, August 3, 2013
It happens. A hose busted on one our fairway units on Thursday on hole 2. The grass will die and we will have to look at this ugly mess for awhile. We took the graden verticutter and tried to remove some of the dead plants. We then seeded bent grass into this area. Once fall arrives we will aerify and reseed this area.
We were greeted on Tuesday to an irrigation leak on the first hole. With all the rain that we have had, the thrust block moved and allowed the pipe to separate. As you can see the water rippled the turf. We had to borrow the city's roller to help smooth the grass back down.